Pokmon Go Battle League Rank Requirements
Go Battle League has you progress through 24 Ranks per Season. This number was increased from 10 on November 30th 2020, alongside the release of Season 6 of the Go Battle League and the Season of Celebrations.
Each Rank requires a different objective for you to progress, and each one also has it’s own set of rewards.
From Season 6 onwards, you’ll need to participate and win a number of battles to progress from Rank 1 to Rank 20.
Certain ranks will be easier to overcome than others, because they will only require you to complete one set of battles to progress. This means that, even if you only win one battle out of five, you’ll still progress to the next rank.
The Ranks that only require you to complete one battle set are – Rank 5, Rank 10, Rank 15 and Rank 19.
If you wish to climb from Rank 21 to Rank 24, however, you need to obtain a certain rating by remaining undefeated for a certain number of matches.
Each Rank from 21 to 24 also has it’s own specific title – Ace, Veteran, Expert and Legend – which not only helps you identify which rating you need to achieve, but gives you some good bragging rights too.
Below you can find which title has been assigned to each rank, alongside the rating you’ll need to progress to that specific rank:
- Rank 21 – Ace – 2,000 rating
- Rank 22 – Veteran – 2,500 rating
- Rank 23 – Expert – 2,750 rating
- Rank 24 – Legend – 3,000 rating
Galarian Stunfisk Cofagrigus And Regirock
Next, we have Galarian Stunfisk, still one of the better Ultra League Pokémon choices. You cant go wrong with this option, and its a flexible choice that you can use in any team. We recommend trying it out with Cofagrigus, a Pokémon with an updated moveset, and the always-reliable Regirock.
- Galarian Stunfisk: Mud shot , rock slide, and earthquake
- Cofagrigus: Shadow claw , psychic, and shadow ball
- Regirock: Lock on , focus blast, and stone edge
Training Outside Of The Pokmon Go Battle League
For those who have noticed that Nearby Battles and Team Leader Battles are no longer where they used to be, don’t worry. You can still battle your friends in PVP Battles, and you can still Train against the Team Leaders: Blanche, Candela, and Spark. Once inside the Battle Menu, swipe down to the bottom, and you’ll find your QR Code, along with a button to Scan a Battle Code for a Nearby Battle and Training options with each of the Team Leaders. You can also still Battle your Ultra and Best Friends from their profiles in your Friend List. These PVP and NPC Battles are a great way to practice for the real deal and still grant rewards all their own. However, your Rank and Rating won’t be impacted by any of these Battles, and you won’t get the Go Battle League Rewards from them either.
Also Check: Pokemon Dream League Card List
Cups In The Pokmon Go Battle League
In addtion to the various leagues, the Pokémon Go Battle League also holds cups. These themed special competitions have different restrictions than the standard leagues. In the past, these cups have included Premier Cups, which had similar CP restrictions as the various leagues, but only non-Legendary Pokémon could participate, and the Flying Cup, which only allowed Flying type Pokémon.
For Season 7, the following Cups will be featured:
- The Ultra League Premier Cup will run April 26 through May 10.
- The Great League Remix Cup will run April 12-26.
- The Retro Cup only allows the first 15 Pokémon types excluding Dark, Steel, and Fairy and has a 1,500 CP limit. It will run May 10-17.
- The Kanto Cup has a 1,500 CP limit and only allows Pokémon with a Pokédex number from 1 to 151. It is unranked and runs from May 24-31.
- More cups will be revealed in the second half of Season 7.
Performance In The Ultra League
Swampert reaches its prime in the Ultra League. Its Water and Ground type moves become seriously threatening out here, as many of the Ultra League relevant Pokémon take increased damage from whatever Swampert shells out.
Its Hydro Cannon is dangerous, even in scenarios where it deals neutral damage. It gets even more daunting going by how fast this move can charge up. Coming with Mud Shot, Swampert charges up its moves faster than anything else, and your opponent will probably burn down their shields right in the first match up. This is really important as Swampert can face almost any relevant Pokémon in this league.
Swampert dons various roles. It is an ideal teammate to some of the most popular Pokémon in usage and as an opponent, you absolutely need to be worried! Use it well as the line between victory and loss heavily rests on Swampert, when used.
You May Like: Pokemon Sun And Moon Qr Codes Shiny
How Do You Actually Play Out The Pvp Battles In Pokmon Go
In the trainer PVP fights, two players with three Pokémon each compete – which is a big change from the typical Pokémon games, which normally allow both sides to have six Pokémon in their group. Players can adjust their battle group early and then select it after the battle begins. Then the players select the Pokémon to use for the fight and send it out to fight each other. Battles are not turn-based! Players can switch between their three Pokémon as they wish, although a decay timer prevents them from constantly switching between their groups.
What Makes A Pokemon Good
CP is determined by 3 things.
- Base Stats The Attack, Defense, and Stamina values of your Pokemons species .
- IV Values The particular additional stat points, added onto individual pokemon. Visible in-game.
- Level Represents how trained or powered up your pokemon is. Represented by the white curve directly below the CP value. Scales to your Trainer Level +2. Caps at Level 40 . Is squared before being multiplied into CP.
If you are starting from scratch, there are a couple of aspects of Pokemon that all come together to determine if its good in PvP, and in what Tier.
- Fast Move The first listed attack, can and should be used constantly in combat by tapping the screen to charge your Charge Moves energy.
- Some Fast Moves have incredibly high Damage on their own, but dont charge well , some charge incredibly fast but have low Damage , and some moves are busted and have both .
- You can save up energy above the needed amount. Critically, energy stored up is saved if your Pokemon switches! Meaning the more you pop by swiping, the higher your damage will be.
Read Also: How To Get Meltan In Pokemon Go
Season 9 Start Date Rank Resets And End
GO Battle League Season 9 will start on Monday, August 30, 2021, at 1:00 p.m. PDT .
The following will occur at the beginning of the season.
- End of season rewards will be available on the battle screen.
- Your GO Battle League rank will be reset.
- Rank-up requirements will remain the same as in Season 8.
A Pvp Analysis On Ghoulish Pals Trevenant And Gourgeist
The Under The Lights article series provides some deeper dives on Pokémon of particular interest in PvP. Today, that means a couple of spooky new arrivals in Pokémon GO that dont just hide out in the creepy forest they ARE the creepy forest. Today, we put the new Ghost/Grass types, Trevenant and Gourgeist under the lights.
On this page
Ultra League Stats
So the stats are nothing too exciting quite the opposite, actually. Trevor is a bit heavy in the Attack department, and is left with less bulk than things like Talonflame, Venusaur, Sableye, Abomasnow, Froslass, Swampert, and several other things not considered bulky. In other words Trevs stats are not really ideal for PvP. It has a bit more bulk than things that DO work well, like Galvantula, Machamp, and of course the extremes like Haunter, so while not encouraging, having less junk in the trunk is hardly a death knell in and of itself.
Okay, got all that? Good, because its time to get to the much more exciting stuff the moves!
- Shadow ClawGhost type, 3.0 DPT, 4.0 EPT, 1.0 CoolDown
- Sucker PunchDark type, 2.5 DPT, 3.5 EPT, 1.0 CD
It all starts with Shadow Claw. Frankly, Im a little surprised Niantic decided to be generous and give us Claw on Trevor right out of the gate I really expected theyd stick us with Hex or even Poison Jab or something else it learns in MSG.
Now on to the lesser Ghost/Grass coming along for the ride.
Read Also: Eevee Trainers Pokemon Sun
Previous Seasons In The Pokmon Go Battle League
- The first preseason ran from January 29, 2020, through March 13, 2020.
- The first season ran from March 13, 2020, through May 11, 2020.
- The second season ran from May 11, 2020, through July 27, 2020.
- The third season ran from July 27, 2020, through September 14, 2020.
- The fourth season ran from September 14, 2020, through November 9, 2020.
- The fifth season ran from November 9, 2020, through November 30, 2020.
- The sixth season ran from November 30, 2020, through March 1, 2021.
Performance In The Great League
Swampert is a solid pick in Great League and that is attributed to Hydro Cannon. With a single weakness, it is a very good lead fory PvP lineup. However, its performance in this league is not as dominating as it is in the higher leagues. There are two reasons for this:
Too much competition
Great League is an excellent playground for the various mud bois that have become a popular pick for PvP. With only Grass type to worry about and with fast charging moves, these Pokémon can bait out shields from your opponent and make the job easier for the rest of your team. Swampert is excellent, but its muddy peers like Whiscash and Quagsire have better Great League stats relatively speaking. Its not that Swampert is outclassed, its just that those derpy mud bois are a wee bit more useful in this particular league.
That damned Venusaur
Venusaur, a key performer in this league, can totally decimate Swampert. Venusaurs typing also doesnt make it susceptible to a lucky Sludge Wave by Swampert, which can trouble other Grass types.
Don’t Miss: Pokemon What Is Water Weak To
Should You Unlock A Second Charge Move For Swampert
There is no compulsion in doing so, but since its cheap, feel free to do so!
- Mud Shot and Hydro Cannon is bread and butter for the best Swampert PvP set.
- You can ideally include Earthquake for possible OHKO scenarios and great type coverage, especially in the higher leagues.
- Muddy Water is a fun addition for shield baiting and the undependable, but high reward ATK stat lowering possibility. Definitely consider using this!
Therefore, Swamperts ideal moveset for PvP is Mud Shot paired with Hydro Cannon and Earthquake.
The Best Ultra League Teams To Use In Pokemon Go
The top lists of Pokemon and teams fluctuate almost endlessly as players devise new battle strategies and Niantic creates new content updates to introduce new Pokemon into the fray.
Because of this, it can be tricky to pin down the top PvP teams at a given time in Pokemon GO, but fortunately data gathered by the community somewhat helps in narrowing things down. With a maximum CP cap of 2,500, Ultra League is relatively unrestricted and invites tons of powerful Pokemon to go toe-to-toe.
Recommended Reading: Pokemon Go Haunter Best Moveset
How To Start Battling In Pokmon Go
Pokemon GO Battle Leagues are *the* new PvP format which will see players take part in the new PVP Trainer Battles. The Pokemon GO trainer battles will take place in different leagues. Players have to choose one of the three leagues before taking part but each league has a maximum Combat Power limit.
Great, Ultra and Master League explained:
Great League: 1,500 CP limit per Pokemon
Ultra League: 2,500 CP limit per Pokemon
Master League: No CP limit per Pokemon
The Official Pokemon GO Twitter handle wrote:
“While Pokémon with high CP might be a big advantage in Master League battles, Trainers will have to think more strategically when battling in the Great and Ultra Leagues, where there are specific CP limitations.”
This means that players are actually encouraged to analyse which creatures they would choose to bring into PvP battles!
Should You Unlock A Second Charge Move For Venusaur
Venusaur is designed to spam out Frenzy Plant. This very move makes Venusaur the threat that it is today. However, since unlocking a second charge move is cheap for Venusaur, you may consider giving it Sludge Bomb for coverage and the fact that it is a 2-bat charge move.
As such, Venusaurs ideal moveset is Vine Whip paired with Frenzy Plant and Sludge Bomb.
Also Check: Pokemon 23k Gold Plated Card Value
How Long Will The Ultra League Run For
This round of the Ultra League will run for exactly two weeks.
It kicks off on September 17 at 1 pm PDT and will finish two weeks later on September 27 at the same time making way for the Master League to begin.
Which costumed Pokémon will walk the runway during this years Fashion Week event?
Avatar Items And Other Rewards
Pikachu Libre avatar items will be rewarded to Trainers who reach Rank 3.
Trainers will be able to earn avatar items and a pose inspired by the champion of the Galar region, Leon, who first made his debut in Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield!
- At Ace rank, youll receive the Reigning Champion Sport Glove.
- At Veteran rank, youll receive the Leons Look Sport Cap.
- At Expert rank, youll receive the Reigning Champion Sport Shorts.
- At Legend rank, youll receive the Reigning Champion Sport Top.
- Midway through season 9, Leons iconic pose will be added as a reward for Trainers who reach Legend rank.
At Rank 19, youll receive an Elite Charged TM, and youll also receive an Elite Fast TM as an end-of-season reward.
Recommended Reading: Pokemon Gold Vs Silver Differences
Using The Pokemon Rankings
In the top-level rankings, you’ll see a score for each Pokemon. This score is an overall performance number from 0 to 100, where 100 is the best Pokemon in that league and category. It is derived from simulating every possible matchup, with each Pokemon’s most used moveset . Use this score to compare overall performance between Pokemon for example, the difference between the #1 and #50 Pokemon may not be the same as the difference between the #50 and #100 Pokemon. This score also allows you to see the parity in different leagues and categories.
Trainer Battles feature a wide variety of scenarios, especially involving shields. In order to give a fuller picture, our overall rankings are derived from additional sets of rankings, where battles are simulated with different roles in mind. You can explore rankings for each of the following categories:
Different Pokemon may succeed in different scenarios, so use these categories to help determine when a particular Pokemon would be the most valuable.
Within each ranking, you’ll see four separate detail sections:
- Fast Moves – Which Fast Moves the Pokemon uses most in the league and category.
- Charged Moves – Which Charged Moves the Pokemon uses most in the league and category.
- Key Wins – Which battles the Pokemon performs best in, weighed by the opponent’s overall score.
- Key Counters – Which significant opponents perform best against the Pokemon.
Master League: 35 / 5
In the Master League, Gyarados has many strong niches by virtue of its sheer power and Water/Flying typing. The versatility of its moveset allows it to take out Metagross, Mewtwo , Groudon, Swampert, and Machamp. it can also do extremely well against general threats such as Dragonite and both flavors of Giratina. While some movesets are considered objectively better than others in a neutral scenario, Gyarados’ potential in regards to typing coverage makes it more unpredictable than most Pokemon in the tier. On top of that and despite its many fantastic qualities, Gyarados is also severely threatened by other big-names such as Melmetal, and pretty much anything sporting Electric coverage. Again, Gyarados is probably one of those Pokemon that you should save a shield for in order to maximize its effectiveness.
Read Also: Best Team In Let’s Go Pikachu
How The Pokmon Go Battle League Works From Ranks To Seasons
There are many components to how the Pokémon Go Battle League works, with a number of changes being introduced in Season 6 alongside the Season of Celebration, but here it is at a glance:
- The Pokémon Go Battle League takes place over the course of a Season, and will rotate through all three existing Leagues which cap Pokémon by their CP – the Great League , Ultra League and Master League – every two weeks. There are bonus leagues introduced in new seasons, but those three will feature in every season.
- With the introduction of Season 6, the number of Pokémon Go Battle League Ranks were increased to Rank 1 to 24. The ranks still have a number of different progression requirements climbing from Rank 1 to Rank 20 requires you to partake and win a number of battles, while Rank 21 to Rank 24, each with it’s own unique title, requires you to reach a certain rating.
- Your ‘battle rating’ that increases when you win and drops when you lose. Though this exists outside of the Rank system, you are required to progress past certain thresholds to progress the last four Ranks. It also gives you an additional metric to complete against once you reach Rank 24 within a Season.